Tuesday, June 4, 2013

SFTP Integration with Windows Explorer

I've come to notice that I very rarely use FTP for file transfers and have turned to using SFTP (FTP over SSH) instead for the two following reasons:
First, it is one less bit of software that I need to manage for my servers and second it is more secure. While I generally use Filezilla for most of my general purpose file transfer needs, I have also come across a nice little shell extension that integrates with Windows Explorer called Swish.

With Swish, you are able to log in to your servers through SSH either using password authentication, or through key authentication using pageant key manager. Upon logging in, you are able to navigate through your directories and files directly from Windows Explorer.

While it's a very useful and nice-to-have application, it is still in alpha. For the most part, I have not noticed any major errors that make it a shaky program to have. I think it's really worth a shot. Check it out at the Swish SFTP Homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment