Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Protecting packages in yum

In my last post I gave a nice bit of advice on how to remove packages using sed, rpmorphan and yum but also warned that you could easily erase sshd or other programs that you might want.

In this short post I just want to mention that you can protect individual packages from being removed in yum. All you need to do is create a .conf file in /etc/yum/protected.d and add the names of the packages you wish to have protected. This is good for adding important things like your ssh server, or other programs that you might accidentally erase using the method I showed you, or by just using yum. It has happened to me before and I am glad this has been put into yum as a feature.

You can read more in the Fedora documentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment